Friday, May 10, 2013

So What Exactly Am I Doing?

The simple answer to the title question here is interning.

Currently I am interning with the company C3 Events as an event management intern. C3 puts on concerts and festivals throughout the summer. In total we put on 35 days of events.

We put on the Bend Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter festivals, a concert series called Peak Summer Nights (the biggest headliner this summer being Ziggy Marley), 
Photo via creativecommons.wikimedia.org

the NorthWest Crossing Hullabaloo (the headliner is Blind Pilot), a Saturday Farmers Market, Munch and Music (a small park concert series), and Munch and Movies (same thing, but with movies). I will get to see a majority of these events all the way through, which is super cool!

But all of these events start June 26th, so for now I am doing a lot of event prep. So far my jobs have included filling out noise permits for the festival, contacting performers for the Farmers Market, contacting farmers for the market and updating insurance.

Blind Pilot from creativecommons.org
What I truly find entertaining about being an intern (and I say this with input from my time at LAFCU) is the way that "real work" is integrated with the "intern work". The biggest stereotype about being an intern is that all you do is grunt work.


The Giraffe House "Intern" (an example of the stereotype)

I'm glad to say that it has never been that bad for me, but I will laugh at all of the goodie bags I filled and cleaning our store room out for 14 hours for the past two days.

What's most important is, I like doing the grunt work, because that work shows your dedication and makes your life easier down the road. And getting the opportunity to do the real stuff, well that's priceless.

I've been here a week and am already learning a ton, and I can't wait to see what's still in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment