While crazy, they have definitely been interesting. Internship wise, I am doing a lot and learning a lot. One minute I'm retyping a contract out, the next I'm calling a local farmer to see if he or she would be interested in participating in our farmer's market and the next minute I'm researching which kind of mobile credit card reader my company should look in to.... It is kind of cool
Living wise, I am still not all that used to living alone in a town where I really don't know too many people. So I often feel pretty homesick and in all honesty, kind of dread the weekends.
But last Saturday was an exception. My co-intern, Lynne, and my boss, Rebecca, and I went out for the day to go shopping for office supplies. We met up at a local coffee shop (just a small local shop with a rustic interior, it was super cute) and proceeded to start our excursion.
We started at a store called "Restore" a thrift shop that also donates to Homes for Humanity. While we were looking around for office chairs and shelving, I found it.
A piece of furniture for my house. All in it's blue suede glory.
That's right friends, I have a couch. It is a three-seater reclining couch, and I found it for $20. (With that being said, I won't actually sit on it until it has a date with some fabric cleaner)
After shopping at a few more thrift shops (and finding gems like this: (we didn't actually buy this))
We decided that it was time for lunch. We met up with my boss (pictured)'s roommate and friend at this little place called Riverside Market. It looked like a full-service cafe, mixed with a 7/11. And it had a full playground outside and a huge selection of beers on draft (which sucks when you're less than 2 weeks away from turning 21...)Anyways, when we were getting ready to go, I asked if she wanted a box. She stared at me for a minute. Then she asked "what?"
"Do you want a box? I need one, so I'll go inside and grab one for you too" and she continued to stare. So I eventually started making box motions with my hands.
What she heard me say was "bax". And it wasn't just her, everyone at the table thought I said "bax". Either way I went inside to get her her "bax" and while I was in there, the guy behind the counter said "So where are you from, I'm trying to pick out where your accent is from?" I told him I was from Michigan and got a big "Oooh, that's where" back.
About an hour later, another cashier asked me the same question, and then spent the rest of the time telling me everything he knew about Michigan...
So in the end, I've learned that we have an accent over in the Midwest, but it is fun to have a conversation starter!
No comments:
Post a Comment